Urban Rec Victoria Basketball Rules
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, some modifications to volleyball rules have been mandated at this time. Click here to see a list of these modifications. Note that these modifications will take precedence over any rules listed below.
- Minimum 1 of each gender on the floor (coed leagues)
- Clock is running time, no stop time during regular season
- No time outs
- Players will call their own fouls
- Player who is fouled has the choice to check the ball or shoot 1 free throw with either two or three points depending on location of foul.
- No line up for free throws, defense retains the ball on a make or a miss. You do not need to inbound the ball on a miss.
- Fouls on 3-point shots will be one shot for 3 points
- Fouls on a made basket “and 1” will shoot one shot for 1 point
- 10 seconds to shoot free throw or the defense will be awarded the ball
- All disputed fouls or rule violations should be decided by “checking the ball up top” and resetting the play
- If there is a dispute as to which team gets the ball after a foul or violation, and no consensus can be came to: the players involved in the disputed play will “shoot for it”. The player who shoots is the disputing player who was on offense at the time of the play being argued.
Code of Conduct
As this is a player officiated league we expect a level of sportsmanship from everyone involved.
Since there is no referee, players should not try and “get away with it” because players are accountable for their own actions
The idea is to have a fun and competitive league.
The onus will be on the players to keep games clean. Flagrant fouls and excessive fouling will not be tolerated.
Abusive language will not be tolerated. Repeat offenders may be suspended from the league.
For disputes on fouls please see Rules List or consult a League Official.
Players found to be in violation of the Code of Conduct may be removed from play and/or suspended from the league.
No refunds will be issued for league suspensions.
Players are required to be accountable for their actions, emotions, and playing-style.
Captains are responsible for the players on their team.
All other standard basketball regulations apply.
Note that the above details are generic Basketball rules. The rules for each specific league may differ.